To avoid these ads,狗万10万提款

How to properly use impact wrench to remove drain plugs?

M

msharley

著名的成员
I'm not a professional mechanic.

Is that a joke? Sorry, but I've never seen that done, I have to ask.

OK, after reading it again, yes it is a joke.

We have to be careful about what we put in-print, because some idiot will try it. On the other side, I currently am free of worms, due-to my self-dosing: "I read it on the internet!"
More Tequila....
M

mikedodge

著名的成员
I've used an impact once to remove a drain plug. It seemed like the gasket was bad and someone sealed the plug in place. Trying to get it out any other way was going to strip it. One quick blip and it was done. It didn't fling oil all over the place and didn't come out all the way but it did drench the impact, my arm and the floor.
Ronson25

Ronson25

著名的成员
Never use a impact on a drain plug unless its a last resort all kinds of bad things can happen...

Also i had to buy the drain plug tool cause it looks handy as hell but i got the yellow 15dollar one.
S

Sgtboz

著名的成员
Typical drain plug torques are 30-35 ft lbs. My DeWalt 3/8 has 150 ft lbs, in theory. So I should have enough torque to easily remove the drain plug. But the trick I don't know is how to 'properly' remove it so that I do not have my face covered by oil. (I am a DIYer and my back is on the driveway ground while working.) Any help? Thanks.
I'd stay away from an impact wrench loosening or tightening a drain plug and you're playing with fire. I got a tool from Matco (i think i paid $14.00) that has a screwdriver handle, very flexible shaft and at the business end, a magnet and two raised pieces of metal to locate it properly after you have it loosened with a wrench or socket. The drain plug sticks to the magnet enough to get it out of the pan without getting oil on you.
M

M635_Guy

著名的成员
I'd stay away from an impact wrench loosening or tightening a drain plug and you're playing with fire. I got a tool from Matco (i think i paid $14.00) that has a screwdriver handle, very flexible shaft and at the business end, a magnet and two raised pieces of metal to locate it properly after you have it loosened with a wrench or socket. The drain plug sticks to the magnet enough to get it out of the pan without getting oil on you.
You're describing this, right?
It's easy:

Don't use an impact. (ever)

Use a magnetic plug remover like this:
41ruA9YlNwL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Last edited:
Compressed

Compressed

ALLIANCE MEMBER
I don't know what to say.......................................................;)
I've tapped and die a lot of projects large and small and it was always from over torqued configurations. be 1:1 or Z scale.
oldmachinenut

oldmachinenut

著名的成员
A guy in our dealership back in the 70’s was always trying to save time. He used a 1/2” impact and cup oil filter wrench on an AC PF35 filter on a 350. The filter flew halfway across the shop and I swear it looked like 3 gallons of oil came out of it judging by the dirty oil ellipses it left across the shop floor.
fourjeepin

fourjeepin

著名的成员
Some idiot engineer at Ford thought it might be a good idea to put the drain plug on the side of the oil pan in the F-150. So when you take the plug out the oil comes out at mach 2 right into the sway bar. I picked up a Fumoto drain valve, they are very high quality and no more mess.
My last vehicle came with one of these. When I bought my new (to me) vehicle last year, I put on one of the competitors to Fumoto. I like the new one better.
B

bobg03

著名的成员
I have thought long and hard on this, the proper way to use an impact for this task is to apply a burst of force to tighten the plug. This added step will ensure removal of said plug will be easy....
P

pbon

著名的成员
On an aluminum oil pan, that method will make the plug harder to remove.
Top Bottom
Baidu