To avoid these ads,狗万10万提款

Calculating Landscape Rock

D

D45

我只是完成砖慢慢around the deck and pool (359 bricks), and put down a ton of 6mil plastic underlayment

Now it's time to order some river rock.......an accurate amount too

Any tips or trick so I'm not short on what I need and also don't have alot of leftover
mike93lx

mike93lx

Calculating the volume is pretty easy. Length x width x depth. If length and width are feet and depth is inches, multiple all those numbers and divide by 324. That will give you the volume in yards.

The challenge is having the yard hit that number.
nolimits76

nolimits76

If you are getting your rock from a quarry, then you will likely need to know tons.

Math is easy. I always use FEET. An example below.

How much rock to fill a 10’ x 20’ x 6” thick area?

First, convert 6” to feet, 6/12 = 0.50’

Now let’s get the volume. 10’ x 20’ x 0.5’ = 100 Cubic Feet / 27 = 3.704 Cubic Yards

If by chance you had a funky shape and did an onscreen take off to obtain square footage, you can also multiply SF x thickness to gain volume.

200 SF x 0.5’ thick = 100 CF

The safest way to convert to tons is to call the quarry and ask them the weight conversion factor for the specific rock you are purchasing. We use a lot of different sands and aggregates in our business so the weight can vary from about 1.25 to 2 tons per CY.

Once you know the conversion, simply multiply the cubic yards to determine the amount. Let’s just pretend the quarry tells you 1.75.

3.704 CY x 1.75 = 6.482 tons

I’d likely order 7 tons. If you are buying from somewhere like Lowes, they sell some landscape rock in the bag by CF or CY. Either way, the math above will get you what you need. Just be clear what units (CF, CY, TON, etc) you need.
OP
D

D45

Thanks, looks like I need to get some measurements and decide what type of rock

I removed like 30 wheel barrel loads of medium sized river rock

Larger river rock seems to be harder to shovel and get level
OP
D

D45

1 ton covers approximately 120 sq ft @ a 2" depth.

That's for medium river rock
F

FredWanaker

also don't use solid plastic. Use a landscape fabric. 3 reasons, (1) it will allow water to percolate thru, (2) it will allow air into the soil and not bring roots to the surface (3) when you pull it up, which you will someday when dirt piles up in it just from that dirt which blows around, it will be easier to clean up the rock and pull up the old liner. Plastic rots and when it does it is a forever mess to clean up. If all you want is a barrier to weeds then just use cardboard or three or four layers of newspaper. My first harsh lesson in life as a teen was don't get volunteered to clean up rock landscaping that has dirt in it. And no matter what you do, over time it will get dirt and debris in it.
N

nadogail

我建议你圆向上而不是向下,opinion a little excess rock is easier to deal with than a shortage that will require a 2nd trip to the store or worse; an additional delivery charge.
OP
D

D45

I used solid black 6 mil sheeting at my friend's house, over 20 years ago. No issues at all with it

Fabric never holds up and seems to not prevent growth
rburke65

rburke65

I used weed guard 6…7 years ago and river rock and yes the weeds are are growing in it….not a lot but growing
OP
D

D45

Preen every spring helps to drastically cut down on weeds
G

Grant F

I would strongly encourage you not to put plastic sheeting under the rock (for the reasons already mentioned). Also not a fan of typical fabrics under rock. I would recommend using a woven geotextile fabric under landscape rock. You can get it in 3 or 4 foot rolls from Amazon. My landscape supplier has it on a 12 ft wide roll and sells it by the foot. My landscape supplier has always been able to tell me how many tons I need based on a rough square footage.
B

Bent Handle

I’ve installed hundreds of tons of river rock.

1-2” rock we get about 100 sq ft per ton. If you go larger rock, it needs to be deeper to not see gaps or mixed with smaller stuff.

We only use DeWitt Pro 5 landscape fabric, I would personally never use plastic of any sort.
OP
D

D45

A stone company told me that one ton will cover 150 square feet, but I guess I need to figure out cubic feet.......

When it gets delivered, do I need to be concerned with it being dumped on my driveway and cracking anything?
OP
D

D45

Here's my rough sketch of the area I need to be covered

I come up with roughly 520 square feet

Attachments

• Snapchat-1972345413.jpg
    Snapchat-1972345413.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 15
OP
D

D45

Local company said I'll need 6.17 tons to cover 2-1/2" depth
OP
D

D45

I ordered 6.25 tons , delivered today

Should be done tomorrow and I'll have some left over
B

Bent Handle

I get about 100sq ft per ton at 2.5”. It really does depend on the rock size and type though on coverage. Better to have to much than not enough! Until the end when you’re sick of moving it and you’ve still got a pile:). We get rid of a lot of our job site removals and leftovers free on Craigslist or facebook.
OP
D

D45

I won't have much leftover at all

Maybe 2 or 3 lawn carts worth
nolimits76

nolimits76

Use this an opportunity to improve your original design. Maybe smooth out some of your transitions in your original sketch or add a little “kick out” and plant a tree.

9CAE9DA6-9D48-4831-AB32-5AC474FD7AFA.jpeg
OP
D

D45

No thx.......I appreciate the input though

Used all 6.25 tons, just made the layer under the deck thicker
Top Bottom
Baidu