To avoid these ads,狗万10万提款

Swapping tool heads on a dewalt flexvolt dedicated string trimmer?

12three

so i have some extra dewalt flexvolt string trimmers (model DCST970)and a milwaukee fuel string trimmer (model 2725-20) as well... they are the original trimmers that are not designed as a 'power head'. they are a dedicated string trimmer.
can i put these hart, ryobi, etc. 'universal' attachments on the dewalt? what about the milwaukee?
i see the hart attachments on sale now at walmart in-store and walked past them but when i got home i remembered i had extra trimmers laying around... i cant find too much info on the topic but i know it was popular to diy the head swaps before the 'power heads' were widely produced... but i cant find much info now that i am looking into it....
i am already knee deep in dedicated trimmers and these hart attachment heads are very affordable at the moment so this is worth exploring to me but i cant find any info and would prefer to look before i leap. anyone do this with these models or have any insight? thanks
W

woodscaper

Probably won't fit, I have a shindaiwa power head/trimmer and the attachments won't fit the milwaukee 18v power head. Splines are different. You may get lucky though.
J

jkeyser14

I have the Dewalt 17" trimmer and all the universal heads I have tried have worked (Ryobi, Craftsman, etc.).
iamrfixit

iamrfixit

These type of attachments are cable driven and require a trimmer with the power unit at the top. The motor or engine drives a cable and the spinning cable is what powers the attachment.

Dewalt trimmers have the motor in the bottom end. The trimmer head is mounted right on the motor output shaft. The battery and switch is at the top in the handle and only power wires to the motor lead down through the shaft.
J

jkeyser14

Dewalt trimmers have the motor in the bottom end. The trimmer head is mounted right on the motor output shaft. The battery and switch is at the top in the handle and only power wires to the motor lead down through the shaft.
That isn't true. At least not for mine or the OP who gave us his model number. The motor is on the battery side and has a 1/4" universal drive shaft.

I have a brush cutter attachment, pole saw attachment, and pole trimmer attachment I use on mine all the time.
N

niget2002

That isn't true. At least not for mine or the OP who gave us his model number. The motor is on the battery side and has a 1/4" universal drive shaft.

I have a brush cutter attachment, pole saw attachment, and pole trimmer attachment I use on mine all the time.
Based on the manual, the motor is in the bottom on his.
Capture+_2021-10-20-21-48-24.png
iamrfixit

iamrfixit

Learned something new, was not aware of this newer model that accepts attachments, I did find it after some google searches. I stand corrected.

The flexvolt trimmer I have is like the one above. While it does have the two piece shaft, it does not accept attachments. I have a Stihl Kombi along with numerous attachments, but my Flexvolt trimmer is a couple seasons old and it's the only model I've seen. Local dealer in my area maintains a huge dewalt inventory, but for some reason has never carried that top motor model.
J

jkeyser14

Based on the manual, the motor is in the bottom on his.
Capture+_2021-10-20-21-48-24.png
You may be correct, the first link I loaded showed it as a powerhead unit, the second link I loaded shows it woth the motor at the trimmer head. OP would have to look at their trimmer.
N

niget2002

Learned something new, was not aware of this newer model that accepts attachments, I did find it after some google searches. I stand corrected.

The flexvolt trimmer I have is like the one above. While it does have the two piece shaft, it does not accept attachments. I have a Stihl Kombi along with numerous attachments, but my Flexvolt trimmer is a couple seasons old and it's the only model I've seen. Local dealer in my area maintains a huge dewalt inventory, but for some reason has never carried that top motor model.
The Dewalt with the removable trimmer is on my Christmas list. I had to make sure and spell out the exact model:)

Dewalt has about 8 different trimmers from what I can tell.
J

jkeyser14

The Dewalt with the removable trimmer is on my Christmas list. I had to make sure and spell out the exact model:)

Dewalt has about 8 different trimmers from what I can tell.
You will hopefully like it. My 17" is a beast and will cut through very tall thick grass and weeds without issue. I maintain 2000' of fence line with it. Downside is that it is heavy with my 9AH battery when using it for long periods so I had to buy a harness for it.
N

niget2002

You will hopefully like it. My 17" is a beast and will cut through very tall thick grass and weeds without issue. I maintain 2000' of fence line with it. Downside is that it is heavy with my 9AH battery when using it for long periods so I had to buy a harness for it.
I'll only be using a 5Ah battery with it.
Top Bottom
Baidu